Thursday, November 12, 2009

Library... media center.... learning commons!

Last week I got to hang out with almost 4000 fellow school librarians and their friends who care about student learning and 21st century skills!  All these fellow librarians and I were in Charlotte at the conference of the American Association of School Librarians (AASL).  I saw some amazing uses of technology, listened to inspiring speakers, and did some BIG thinking about the future of our school library.  I really like a new concept of the library media center as a "learning commons", a place for asking, thinking, creating, and sharing.  


In the coming months I hope to do more big thinking about what our school "learning commons" needs to be to support student learning and 21st century skills.  Watch for changes to this blog, to the physical space in which I teach, and to the strategies and tools I use in the learning commons to help all WES students prepare for the future.