Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spring Break is great for reading!

Spring break is finally here and it's the perfect time for reading!

If you haven't already visited your local public library, what are you waiting for?? They have books, movies, books, magazines, books, books on tape, books and much more. Best of all, it's FREE! If you're wondering where and when to visit your local library branch, check out their website for more information. Here's the URL: http://www.wakegov.com/libraries/default.htm

During spring break I'll be reading . . .

Coretta Scott King Award book Standing Against the Wind by Traci L. Jones. The main character is Patrice who has hair issues (I can relate!). In fact, Patrice's hair is so wild that the kids at her new school tease her by calling her "Puffy". Unfortunately, Patrice faces more than just teasing at her new school, but her brains and grit help her stand up against the negative forces in her life. I can't wait to be inspired by this courageous young character!

I'm also planning to read the Newbery Honor Book, Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson. Hattie is a pioneer girl in Montana who is longing for a home in the Big Sky country (that's Montana!) and a family to call her own. Historical fiction is my favorite, so I think I'll start reading about Hattie first. I haven't been to Montana -- I wonder what it looked like to Hattie 100 years ago?

(Ms. R is sure to be reading nursery rhymes and sweet bedtime stories to Jonah.)

I hope you can find something exciting, interesting, scary, funny, charming, heart-wrenching, or mysterious to read during spring break. Please come see me and tell me about what you read over break -- I'll be waiting to hear all about it.

Happy spring break and don't forget to visit your local library for some great reading!


Clip art licensed from the Clip Art Gallery on DiscoverySchool.com